THE BEST BOLTON WANDERERS MESSAGE BOARD
Unregistered guests can post in the GENERAL BWFC section for this week only!
Latest topics
» testing
Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:09 am by jayjay23

» Announcement about WAYNEAGAIN
Sat Jan 23, 2010 6:35 pm by bigsamsarmyusa

» Announcement.
Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:15 pm by bigsamsarmyusa

» Vladimir Weiss SIGNS ON LOAN
Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:13 pm by bigsamsarmyusa

» JayJay.......
Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:10 pm by bigsamsarmyusa

» klasnic - not a legend.
Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:46 pm by bigsamsarmyusa

» now you see it now you dont... but is it right?
Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:44 pm by bigsamsarmyusa

» Bolton shop selling knock off coyle stuff! HAHA
Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:42 pm by bigsamsarmyusa

» jussi? drop?
Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:42 pm by bigsamsarmyusa

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Sell Cahill to raise cash - right or wrong?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Sell Cahill to raise cash - right or wrong?

Post by jayjay23 on Thu Jan 07, 2010 4:37 am

"It is thought Coyle will be handed a relatively large transfer fund by the Bolton board, although some reports have suggested he will have to sell star defender Gary Cahill in order to raise funds for any potential purchases."

So would that be a good or bad move for Bolton? And is it realistic? Are Bolton going to continue down the road of producing the players and when they turn half decent letting them go? Or are we going to move forward?

Of course it is speculation that we would have to sell Cahill so perhaps if the club have decent abmbition they are going to be sensible and keep our best assets, release a few of the more useless ones and then move forward. Not keep the rubbish and sell the best.

We have seen it happen in the past and often players dont go on to do that well out of it.

Mcateer, Stubbs, Gudjohnsen, Curcic, Anelka, Ben Haim, Gunlaagsson, Ricketts, and probably a few others.

jayjay23
Star Player
Star Player

Back to top Go down

Re: Sell Cahill to raise cash - right or wrong?

Post by mangler on Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:43 am

Cahill will be sold sooner or later - hopefully not for a few years yet, but I would expect in the summer. If we were offered something daft like £18-20m then we'd have to sell... hopefully we would use that money much more wisely than Megson did when he bought Knight and Ricketts for about £6m!

We can't defend for toffee, so selling Cahill may be worthwhile if it allows us to buy 2 or 3 solid or promising defenders who may not be as good as Cahill individually, but may be able to defend and keep clean sheets as the bulk of a new back four. Ie, we could buy an old head - like a Sol Campbell type (someone knocking on a bit but still with a couple of good years left), and a couple of promising younger players, and still have some change from £18m.

As for some of the players who've left us for greener grass on the other side...

The thing is, most of the players you've named above weren't genuine quality... Ben Haim for instance. Now I always liked him and was disappointed when he went, but I think we had the best out of him as BSA was pretty shrewd at getting average players to defend solidly - I believe this was the case with Ben Haim, and now you watch him play for Chelsea/Citeh/Pompey/wherever next and you can see he's lacking that bit of quality.

Cahill on the other hand is a genuinely good footballer.

The other quality players (of varying degrees of quality, that is) were Anelka (obviously), Stubbs and Gudjohnsen (both to a lesser extent).

The others weren't that great, and I believe we probably saw their best years at Burnden or the Reebok.

Ps. McAteer is a bellend - just thought I'd add that.
mangler
First Teamer
First Teamer

Back to top Go down

Post by BUNBURY on Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:49 am

Scouse git.
BUNBURY
Squaddi
Squaddi

Back to top Go down

Post by chrislanz on Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:32 am

If the price is 18+ then yes, Sell,Sell, Sell..............

chrislanz
Squaddi
Squaddi

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:23 pm

why not offload chittu and knight and get one good player! rather than offload our good defender to replcae with two more andy obriens that are ok but we are never going to move up?

Admin
Team Manager

http://bwfcboard.sendboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by mangler on Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:01 pm

Firstly, you couldn't sell Shittu, Knight and/or O'Brien and bring in more than £5 quid to buy other players.

Secondly, one top notch defender can't defend on his own. We'd be far better off with 3 or 4 competent defenders who can defend as a unit then one star defender whose colleagues are so poor that we concede 2 or 3 goals a match.

I'd hate to see him go as I like to watch good footballers play, however if someone like Citeh were to offer silly money (comparable to what they paid for Lescott) then we'd be daft not to sell.
mangler
First Teamer
First Teamer

Back to top Go down

Post by holty2 on Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:32 pm

Megson always stated that he wanted to build a team around Cahil,now he has gone i would expect him to be sold sooner rather than later.
holty2
Squaddi
Squaddi

Back to top Go down

Post by BUNBURY on Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:24 pm

I wouldn't sell him in January, our Premiership survival is all that matters and we need him for the fight.
BUNBURY
Squaddi
Squaddi

Back to top Go down

Post by bigsamsarmyusa on Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:54 pm

I agree with Bunbury. Hold onto him till the summer unless 18-20 mil is gained from selling him.

January isn't the time for bringing in the better players, normally, so it would be difficult to get a replacement. Plus, once it was known that we'd received silly money for him, clubs would up the price wanted on average/below average players.
bigsamsarmyusa
Captain of the team
Captain of the team

Back to top Go down

Post by Darequam on Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:27 am

U are so right there, and I agree with u.
We should hold onto him till d season ends. Depending on what d team has developed to be then, we'll kno whether or not to sekk him.

If Coyle suceeds in building the team to a certain level that we can challenge for uefa cup, then it'll be senseless to sell him. Not even for 20million. I bet then it'l be better to cash on davies/Elmander and get a nu competent striker.
If we are still nothing but premierleague strugglers, then we better get d cash n build a team.
Darequam
Reserve
Reserve

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo69 on Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:35 pm

We have time on our side with Cahill. Doesn't he have a good few years on a recently renewed contract??? We should keep him for the next season at least before we start worrying about selling him to bankroll other players. If we can build on what Megson has left us, we will soon be moving up the table to mid-table mediocrity.
hampo69
Squaddi
Squaddi

Back to top Go down

Post by jayjay23 on Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:27 pm

speculate to accumulate.

spend fairly well, money up front, buy big. either in jan or preferably in summer. maybe three players in jan. and 5 or 6 in summer. do the deals early as possible.

then sell cahill as late as possible if we need to recoup the cash. if it goes the other way around, as mentioned, we will pay over the odds for players because clubs will know we have cash.

jayjay23
Star Player
Star Player

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top